In the New England Patriots and the Atlanta Falcons, NFL fans will get a chance to bet on a rather unique matchup. On one hand, there’s Tom Brady and the Pats’ top-ranked defense (in terms of points allowed). Across the sidelines, there’s the ultra-potent offense of Matt Ryan and the Dirty Birds. This combination presents some serious challenges for 2017 expert Super Bowl picks specialists, for a number of reasons.
That’s because there aren’t too many clichés that one can lean on that precisely applies to this type of situation. One of the more famous, and quite frankly, accurate sayings in Super Bowl betting is that “defense wins championships.” This is true, but did anyone see what Ryan and the Falcons did to the Seattle Seahawks’ defense and the Legion of Boom?
Let’s face it, the Falcons’ vertical attack is something that perhaps hasn’t been seen in pro football betting since… ever, actually. Add to the mix that they’re going up against arguably the greatest quarterback to ever live, who by the way is coached by the greatest sports-minds that’s walked the face of this earth and good luck being a specialist when it comes to issuing expert NFL picks.
This year, Superbowl odds makers have named the Patriots the team to beat and the Falcons the betting underdogs. As of Friday morning, literally nine days away from the Big Game, New England (-3) remains a steady three-point favorite, which, naturally, gives Atlanta (+3) a pro football betting cushion of a field goal.
For kicks, the Over-Under is set at a combined total of 59 points, which is a half-point less than the original O-U line of 59.5. Finally, those looking to place a straight-up bet, which for this game sounds like a great idea, Patriots vs Falcons money lines have New England valued at -150 and Atlanta is currently at +130.
What’s going to happen when these teams get together on Feb. 5 at NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas? The obvious answer is: Brady could either put all the chatter to rest regarding who the greatest signal-caller in history is, or Ryan and the Falcons could go down in history as the greatest Cinderella stories ever told in sports.
As far as the 2017 Super Bowl picks are concerned, I can honestly tell you that people are split down the middle in this one. At the present time, both of these clubs have gathered 50 percent of the general consensus in ATS betting. But the devil is in the details, and in this instance, the Pats actually hold a slight edge over the Falcons.
Despite being knotted up at 50 percent apiece, data shows that New England has been picked to cover the spread by 436 people. Meanwhile, Atlanta currently trails in that category, as it has gathered 428 votes in the court of public opinion.
Furthermore, it’s also worth noting that no such trends are found in terms of predicting the point-total in the 2017 Super Bowl. In this category, Super Bowl betting has been rather decisive against Superbowl odds. With 71 percent of the total tally on its side (531 expert Super Bowl picks), the Over seems to be the popular bet at this time, which, of course, leaves the Under at a low 29 percent (NFL expert picks).
- Super Bowl Picks: New England Patriots -3 ATS & Over 59 Points