Two of the greatest quarterbacks of our generation square off for a chance to represent the AFC in this year’s Super Bowl, as the Pittsburgh Steelers visit the New England Patriots, and OSH has the winning NFL playoff predictions for this must-bet contest. Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts, will be the site for the AFC Championship Game, scheduled for Sunday at 6:40 p.m. ET on CBS.
According to AFC betting oddsmakers, Tom Brady and the Pats are expected to defeat Ben Roethlisberger and the Steel Curtain by (at least) a pair of field goals. As of Wednesday morning, AFC betting spreads have the Patriots (-6) as six-point favorites and the Steelers (+6) as underdogs by the same margin. The Over-Under is set at a combined total of 51 points and alternate (straight-up) 2017 AFC Conference Championship lines go as follows: Pittsburgh (+190) vs. New England (-225).
The last time these storied franchises met dates back to earlier this season in Week 7. Fueled by a near-perfect performance from Tom Brady (19-26, 222 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, 124.2 QBR), Bill Belichick’s bunch went into Heinz Field and handed Mike Tomlin’s troops a 27-17 defeat. The loss marked the third consecutive defeat at the hands of the Patriots, who trail the Steelers (15-14-0) in the overall head-to-head series by a game.
As far as AFC playoff picks action for this pro football 2017 playoff matchup is concerned, things are tighter than most people anticipated. At the present time, the underdog Pittsburgh Steelers account for 53 percent of the NFL playoff predictions 2017 action while the New England Patriots have tallied 47 percent of the popular vote as the team to cover the spread.
In the Over-Under category, 51 percent of the population likes the Over and 49 percent believe these teams will remain under the 51-point mark in this one. Finally, there are some ATS trends to consider prior to pulling the trigger on the aforementioned pro football odds, starting with the visiting team.
Pittsburgh Steelers ATS Trends:
- Steelers are 2-0-2 ATS in their last four playoff games.
- Steelers are 7-0-1 ATS in their last eight games after accumulating more than 150 yards rushing in their previous game.
- Steelers are 5-0 ATS in their last five road games.
- Steelers are 7-1-1 ATS in their last nine games overall.
- Steelers are 6-1-1 ATS in their last eight games following a straight up win.
- Steelers are 6-1-1 ATS in their last eight vs. AFC.
- Steelers are 5-1 ATS in their last six games following a ATS win.
- Steelers are 13-3-3 ATS in their last 19 games in January.
- Steelers are 4-1 ATS in their last five games after allowing less than 90 yards rushing in their previous game.
New England Patriots ATS Trends:
- Patriots are 6-0 ATS in their last six games following a straight up win.
- Patriots are 5-0 ATS in their last five games following a ATS win.
- Patriots are 4-0 ATS vs. a team with a winning record.
- Patriots are 4-0 ATS in their last four games after accumulating more than 250 yards passing in their previous game.
- Patriots are 5-0 ATS in their last five vs. AFC.
- Patriots are 4-0 ATS in their last four games on fieldturf.
- Patriots are 10-2-1 ATS in their last 13 games after scoring more than 30 points in their previous game.
- Patriots are 5-1 ATS in their last six games following a straight up win of more than 14 points.
- Patriots are 14-3 ATS in their last 17 games overall.
- Patriots are 4-1 ATS in their last five playoff games.
- Patriots are 4-1 ATS in their last five playoff home games.
NFL Playoff Predictions 2017: New England Patriots -6